- JAXB 1.0 only requires JDK 1.3 or later. JAXB 2.0 requires JDK 1.5 or later.
- JAXB 2.0 makes use of generics and thus provides compile time type safety checking thus reducing runtime errors.
- Validation is only available during marshalling in JAXB 1.0. Validation is also available during unmarshalling in JAXB 2.0.
- Termination occurs in JAXB 1.0 when a validation error occurs. In JAXB 2.0 custom ValidationEventHandlers can be used to deal with validation errors.
- JAXB 2.0 uses annotations and supports bi-directional mapping.
- JAXB 2.0 generates less code.
- JAXB 1.0 does not support key XML Schema components like
anyAttribute, key, keyref, and
unique. It also does not support attributes like
complexType.abstract, element.abstract, element.substitutionGroup, xsi:type, complexType.block, complexType.final, element.block, element.final, schema.blockDefault, and
schema.finalDefault. In version 2.0, support has been added for all of these schema constructs.